Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Male Number of posts : 1624
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 0474-9581-2060
Date Joined : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Yu-Gi-JOU! wrote:
**peers at thread, steps out of RP land place thingy**

Er... did someone mention living in Japan?

I hope you guys are up for teaching English. That's going to be the only job you're going to be allowed to get, if you're not from Brazil. To renew your visa to stay longer, you need someone to sign off on it, so even if you have a job, your employer might not want to sign off on you having an extended visa, and back to the States you go. There are cases of exPats staying here for the rest of their lives, but this is extremely rare. My favorite worker in the office was recently sent back to Australia, simply because she was here for 7 years and they deemed it time for her to leave.

To give an idea of how many visas are given out yearly, only about 3% of the population currently in Japan are foreign. Of this, I fall into the .5%, the "not tourist/extended stay/live here" list. If I had any real hopes of staying any longer than I am, I would have to get married to a Japanese person.

You can NEVER become a Japanese citizen. Ever. Even if you marry a Japanese person, you will never ever be a citizen. You will always be second class, and you will be treated as such. There are certain places that WILL tell you 外国人はちょっと。。。and then just not let you in wherever it was you were trying to go, or give you any service at all. People will stare at you no matter where you go, except maybe Tokyo. That's the only place I've been to that I haven't gotten intense stares. Probably because they're so used to gaijin at this point. HOWEVER, the rest of Japan is NOT like this, and even some people in Tokyo will still stare at the foreigners.

And while English is mandatory to take, not many people actually speak it. You HAVE to know at least your basic Japanese to get around. I came here knowing enough to get myself where I needed to go, but it's frustrating when you can't read signs, thanks to kanji, or know enough to understand what it does say, even after you ask what the kanji means. I don't understand the mentality of "I don't have to learn Japanese to go to Japan."

Also, please, for the love of god, don't think anime is that big of a thing here in Japan. While it is its place of origin, it's still exactly what it is in America. Anime is a SUB CULTURE. Not everyone likes it, and some people will still find you weird/geeky/childish for liking it.

... I'm free for more questions, if you guys have any. :3

EDIT: And yeah, it's just because you're different. There is still some risidual hatred, as is made known by the nationalist van that drives in front of my apartment every now and then, but mostly it's "WHOA YOUR SKIN IS WHITE" type of stare.

That I already know about. A friend of mines who works up there has a job (I can't recall from the back of my head as of now.) While he came down here for a day, he told me how it was up there. My neighbor also told me that he's also gonna go to a university down there after he finishes it down here. I already know that I won't become a Japanese citizen and already had to file for my U.S citizenship in the past thus I'm still not a full american. -shrug- "Only" teaching english in Japan? I don't think that's what most foreigners will get as a job. Lol. Only thing now is to wait for time until we go. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shiko
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Female Number of posts : 469
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 1462.3021.6101
Date Joined : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:27 pm

Actually, you'd be surprised, Shiki. It may not be the only job a gaijin will have in Japan, it's most likely the first one they'll have, and they'll probably have it for a while before finding a new one. =/
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kagenoshiko
Yu-Gi-JOU!
Duelist Admiral
Duelist Admiral

Female Number of posts : 92
5Ds WC 2011 FC : N/A
Date Joined : 2009-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:28 pm

Shiki wrote:
"Only" teaching english in Japan? I don't think that's what most foreigners will get as a job.

No. It is. :/ Real jobs are for real citizens.
Back to top Go down
VenusRose
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Female Number of posts : 359
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 3309 0489 7569
Date Joined : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Xenophobia, fear of foreigners or foreign things. If I didn't see that on the Passionate Eye or some other documentary, I would have been surprised at what Yu gi Jou said, but her clarification secures a lot of doubts I had.
Back to top Go down
http://vaaneessaa.deviantart.com
Shiki
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Lol. Well, I don't think it'll be the 'only' and 'first' job you'll get there. Teaching english down in a country you never been to will be more sufficient to them. Most people in today's society want to learn english or another language they aren't compatible with. In either view, both you and the person/people get a general understanding of the language and terms of which you speak by.

(Typing on PS3. Will re-read later if I made mistakes. xD)
Back to top Go down
Shiko
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:08 pm

*confused by Shiki's post* Your first sentence seems contradictory. What Neechan (Yu-Gi-JOU!) and I were saying is that in Japan, the first, and more than likely only, job a gaijin will have is teaching English. I'm confused by what you were saying...
Back to top Go down
Shiki
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:49 pm

I should've clarified it a bit more. The most likely reason foreigners will be 'only' and 'first' for teaching english is because we came outside their waters. Cultural Diffusion more likely to put it. Since universities in Japan are teaching english, who else is better to teach english than a person who came from 'America'?

(Still on PS3, so I might have a few mistakes again)
Back to top Go down
Yu-Gi-JOU!
Duelist Admiral
Duelist Admiral

Female Number of posts : 92
Date Joined : 2009-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:46 am

Yeah, which is almost the only reason why companies will hire gaijin, is for their English/foreign language abilities. AND THAT IS IT. There are rare exceptions, but that's just that. They are rare, and they are exceptions.

The only Japanese visa I can hope to get would only allow me to teach English, and not hold any other job while here.

Like I said. Real jobs are for real citizens.

Anyway, derail over. I'mma make a thread 'bout being a gaijin in Japan. :3 **scuttles off to do so**
Back to top Go down
Shiko
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:56 am

Yay~! *awaits Neechan's thread*
Back to top Go down
Shiki
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:48 am

Lol. Well then, sorry to bombard your thread like this Shikamaru. My apologies.
Back to top Go down
Shikamaru
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Male Number of posts : 423
5Ds WC 2011 FC : Pending
Tournament Awards :
Special Awards :
Date Joined : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:24 pm

SO! I realize it's been a while since the last post, but I feel the need to revive this thread to hype up summer! SO! Any special plans for anyone? As for myself, I'm not sure what I'm doing this summer. Mostly I plan on spending time working if I can find myself a job. After all, gotta pay my own stuff sooner or later xD.

SO SUMMER TIME! HYYYPE!!!
Back to top Go down
stardust dragon
Novice Duelist
Novice Duelist

Male Number of posts : 39
Date Joined : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: summertime   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:24 pm

I plan to go see my mother in new mexico i will be flying out tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
blackarchfienddragon
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Male Number of posts : 928
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 1849-0393-2024
Special Awards :
Date Joined : 2009-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:02 am

im expecting to go to tokyo with my family for holiday
Back to top Go down
BIONIC
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Male Number of posts : 821
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 5242-4111-1644
Special Awards :
Date Joined : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:43 am

I still got 2 weeks of exams :[
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/bioniclewiz
Dally
Duelist Admiral
Duelist Admiral

Female Number of posts : 177
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 1162 2220 3863
Date Joined : 2009-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:32 pm

I have to go to Summer School this Summer, so it's boring.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dummy10000
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summertime =)   

Back to top Go down

Summertime =)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The K.W.C. Forum :: General Forums :: General Chat-
Jump to: